Today parents are in a race to provide their children with the best there is to offer this mean getting their children the best education and helping them to get a foot up on other children. While we all want what best for our children how far can we actually go without hurting our children's chances at being independent and working through problems on our own.
When I become a parent I do want my child to succeed in school but I believe that calling the school every week to find out what my child's marks are like and how I can work with my child to have them constantly get straight A's is not the answer. This put to much stress on your child to be perfect and when they don't live up to your expectations of them can be harmful to their self image.
As for parents who are helping their children apply and look for colleges I would want to be with my child to be there for support but I think I'd sit my child down first and ask what she looking for what questions she has and throw some idea's around with her so she has knowledge of what to look for and what questions to ask then when going to a college fair I'd let her do most the talking this gives them the sense of doing it on their own but yet I'm their if they need that support.
I believe there is a certain point that you need to be their to help your child out so they can find their place in the world but if you do everything for them they will never be able to stand on their own to get and you will constantly be needed to help them deal with life's problems.
No comments:
Post a Comment